Thursday, January 31, 2008

Seattle, Amsterdam, Lisbon ... and still not in Africa

After checking in to the Raddison hotel in Lisbon, Portugal, earlier this afternoon, I had a strange sense of deja vu: complete exhaustion. Yes, I remember when I last felt that way... when I traveled 10 hours from Detroit to Amman this past fall. Day and night blend together and all sense of time is gone. All you know is that you're really really tired. At the hotel, Tom and I took a short nap and when we woke up, we felt even more tired. But also hungry. So we went out to find food.

Our Lisbon hotel is only a few minutes from the airport and within walking distance of the Lisbon stadium, which also includes a food court, a theater, and ... a grocery store. Catch a game, buy some milk, all in one stop. We ate at Ranch Burger, and I made the mistake of ordering the "Classico" burger and a small drink. I learned the lesson of the amateur traveller: U.S. food portions are much, much larger than the rest of the world. So instead of getting a Whopper, I got like a mini Whopper Jr. and a kiddie cup drink. But it was food.

During our five-hour layover in Amsterdam, I was supposed to meet up with my cousin, Laura, who was passing through the airport as well on her way back to Seattle. But after scouring the entire airport -- and despite the fact she was apparantly wearing golden ribbons and braided hair -- I couldn't find her. I got to know the airport pretty well though.

Well, I'm exhausted. Thanks for all your guys' optimism about my malaria prospects. Tomorrow morning Tom and I will travel to Bissau. It will be my first day ever stepping foot in Africa.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Chris,
We are watching and praying for you and Tom. Hope you have made it to your destination and I look forward to reading another report.
Al Engler